Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Meaning of Christmas

*Let me start off w/ a prelude to what I'm going to post by saying that I've been searching or at least thinking about this for the past four years, more so in the past two. As a Christian parent I want to teach my children the true meaning of Christmas. I want them to have fun & enjoy the festivities, b/c I certainly do, but I want them to know why we have Christmas... It's sort of a fine line to walk. I don't want to be the grinch and say NO SANTA, but I don't want Christmas to be about Santa either. I'm sure most of you are nodding your heads or thinking I'm a nut case already b/c that's a big DUH... I guess I've struggled w/ this b/c as a child I never believed in Santa... (ryan says he doesn't remember if he did or not). With no prior teaching of these practices from my own parents or even from my in-laws to my hubby about Santa or no Santa I had no idea what to do w/ Brycen... what to say or not to say. We always start off Christmas morning by singing Happy Birthday to Jesus. That's the one thing I knew I wanted to do. Last year my parents small group invited all their kids (grown ones too) to their Christmas party. It was at Tom & Marsha Boyd's and somehow it got mentioned that we do that at our house and Marsha told me they always make a birthday cake for Jesus! What a great idea~ it went right along with what we already do, but took it a little further, I loved it! So today, I got online and was checking out the other blogs I read and I found this post... I am so excited to find it and will be reading it B... It is going to be a new tradition in our house. I know Ryan will love it too & I can't wait to show it to him tonight. I didn't know if anyone else has struggled or struggled with this so I thought I would share it w/ my blog readers too. Even if you already have beliefs with your family or have shared w/ your kids other things about the true meaning of Christmas it's still a neat story!
The Meaning of Christmas

Just a week before Christmas I had a visitor. This is how it happened. I just finished the household chores for the night and was preparing to go to bed when I heard a noise in the front of the house. I opened the door to the front room, and to my surprise, Santa himself stepped out from behind the Christmas tree. He placed his finger over his mouth so I would not cry out. "What are you doing?" I started to ask him.
The words choked in my throat, as I saw he had tears in his eyes. His usual jolly manner was gone. Gone was the eager boisterous soul we all know. He then answered me with a simple statement, TEACH THE CHILDREN!
I was puzzled: What did he mean? He anticipated my question, and with one quick movement brought forth a miniature toy bag from behind the tree.
As I stood there bewildered, Santa said, Teach the Children! Teach them the old meaning of Christmas. The meaning that a now-a-day Christmas has forgotten!
Santa then reached in his bag and pulled out a FIR TREE and placed it on the mantle. Teach the Children that the pure green color of the stately fir tree remains green all year round, depicting the everlasting hope of mankind. All the needles point heavenward, making it a symbol of man's thoughts turning toward heaven.
He again reached into his bag and pulled out a brilliant STAR. Teach the Children that the star was the heavenly sign of promises long ago. God promised a Savior for the world, and the star was the sign of fulfillment of that promise.
He then reached into the bag and pulled out a CANDLE. Teach the Children that the candle symbolizes that Christ is the light of the world, and when we see this great light we are reminded of He who displaces the darkness.
Once again he reached into his bag and then removed a WREATH and placed it on the tree.
Teach the Children that the wreath symbolizes the eternal nature of love. Real love never ceases. Love is one continuous round of affection.
He then pulled out from his bag an ornament of HIMSELF. Teach the Children that Santa Claus symbolizes the generosity and good will we feel during the month of December.
He reached in again and pulled out a HOLLY LEAF. Teach the Children the holly plant represents immortality. It represents the crown of thorns worn by our Savior. The red holly berries represent blood shed by Him.
Next he pulled out a GIFT from the bag and said, "Teach the Children that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. Thanks be to God for His unspeakable gift. Teach the Children that the wise men bowed before the holy babe and presented Him with gold, frankincense, and myrrh. We should give gifts in the same spirit as the wise men."
Santa then reached in his bag and pulled out a CANDY CANE and hung it on the tree. Teach the Children that the candy cane represents the shepherd's crook. The crook on the shepherd's staff helps bring back strayed sheep from the flock. The candy cane is the symbol that we are our brother's keeper.
He reached in again and pulled out an ANGEL. Teach the Children that it was the angels that heralded in the glorious news of the Savior's birth. The angels sang 'Glory to God in the highest, on earth, peace and good will.'
Suddenly I heard a soft twinkling sound, and from his bag he pulledout a BELL. Teach the Children that as the lost sheep are found by the sound of a bell, it should bring people to the fold. The bell symbolizes guidance and return.
Santa looked at the tree and was pleased. He looked back at me and I saw the twinkle was back in his eyes. He said, "Remember, teach the Children the true meaning of Christmas, and not to put me in the center, for I am but a humble servant of the One who is, and I bow down and worship Him, our Lord, our God."

8 comments:

Courtney, Jeff, Ayla & Leah said...

What a cool story! We have talked about this numerous times. Being we are parents of a small child who hasn't had any of the Santa suspicions yet, we're still trying to figure it out. She is old enough now to learn of him, but I chose not to this year. I am not against Santa, just don't think he should be used as a bargining tool for kids to be "good" or someone to "believe" in. Ayla does know Jesus (as much as a 19mo old can) she prays every day with us and reminds us to pray at dinner when we forget. I think every family is different and it sounds like you are doing everything with a open heart. Keep it up, B is a good boy. Im excited to read what others are doing so I can start to plan traditions of our own. :)

Jamie Truelove said...

That is pretty cool. We received a gift from my brother and his family a few yrs ago. At the time I thought it would probably get played with once and get tossed. To my surprise, my kids still love that gift and play with it at least weekly all year round...in my opinion...it's a must have for all children...it's called "What God Wants for Christmas"...it's got little gift boxes to open and a story to go with...like the first box is Gabriel (little resin angel) and the book tells a little story about gabriel. Box 2 is mary, etc. When you get to box 7 it is a mirror and the whole point is that what God wants for christmas is you! The kids love it. I bought 3 this yr for some friends...you have to get it...all the christian stores have it...family christian has them online too...

JessGraceIz said...

Great Post...I have also been dealing with this, but I am probably the only one that will say this, but I do let my childern believe in Santa, not because of them getting presents, but the gift of giving to others. St. Nicholas (Santa Claus) gave childern that were orphaned or poor the ability to have something of their own. I do need to make this clear, that we first explain to them what Christmas is all about, that God gave us the greatest gift of all, Baby Jesus. We then read a story Baby Jesus journey into this world. Then we explain to them what Santa Claus is and what he is about. Now, if you ask Grace what Christmas is she will say this is Baby Jesus's birthday and then she will say this is also the day that Santa (whether it's mom or dad, grandparents, or organizations like Toys for Tots) comes gives all little girls and boys gifts (toys). There will be a time that they will no longer believe in Santa and will know that their mommy and daddy or whomever put those presents under the tree, but they will not forget the act of giving nor the Birth of our Savior Jesus Christ.
I do think that we should not only teach our childern the reason of Christmas, but I think we all need to go back and remember that ourselves. There are too many adults and teens that forget what Christmas is about and only think about the "perfect" gift for whoever. The fact is God gave us that "perfect" gift, Jesus. And everything else it trivial.
Sorry for the long post...Really enjoyed the your post and story...Maybe we will do that too on Christmas Day. I think my family will enjoy that.

Shannon said...

Great Post Chelsa!!We never believed in Santa at home. Mom never really told us there was or wasnt a santa, I guess it wasnt mentioned much and we just knew Mom got our presents for us. My mom focused more on giving at christmas. Like we always made shoe box gift for Operation christmas child and a couple years we adopted a needy family and took gifts to them.

Ali Gish said...

Great post Chelsa!!! Beau and I go back and forth all the time about this! I also did not believe in Santa as a child, and I don't want Copeland to either. Like you said, he can enjoy Santa and all the fun stuff, but I don't want Santa to be the focus!! I want Cope to know that Jesus is the reason! Thanks for sharing this!!!

Lori said...

I like this so much you may see it on my blog sometime before Christmas :-)

Tera said...

We let our kids believe in Santa..knowing it's only a temporary thing they will outgrow. Most definitely we focus on the true meaning of Christmas, but I'm ok with them enjoying Santa while they are young. On Christmas morning, we read the Christmas story from their Children's Bible and then pray together before we open gifts.

Susie said...

Thanks for sharing...I copied it and printed it off and going to use it for one of the extended family Christmas get togethers! We also let the kids talk about Santa! We haven't done the milk & cookies but we definitely do the naughty and nice list! We also talk about how St. Nicholas was a real person long ago and Santa is someone dresses up as a helper. The kids know that Jesus is why we celebrate Christmas and we honor him not only on Christmas day but the other 364 days of the year..so if they know that then it is no different at Christmas as well. I have post coming soon on that too!